Carer FAQs

What can carers/families do to build the evidence/reasoning for needing a particular thing to meet the need to be included in a care and support plan?
How do assessments remain ‘carer blind’ in situations where family members are involved and provide paid care via Direct Payments?
The CHC Team at the ICB  have said the Personal Health Budget (PHB) should not be used to cover the admitted deficits in the support and/or equipment provided by other publicly funded services  (i.e OT, Physio, SALT, orthotics). Is this correct or should these services be included in the PHB, because the person who has qualified has acquired a specific funding status – and rights that are different from those of the ordinary public?
Can a local authority force a carer to continue providing care after they have said they will not or cannot carry on providing that care?
Can I challenge Social Care on failing to meet my needs as a carer?
What considerations does a social worker need to have when an adult with eligible needs has NRPF and what additional steps are required in the assessment process?
I live with my twin brother who requires a lot of personal care (Aspergers, MECFS and had a massive stroke in 2018) but over the last two years it’s been impossible to recruit and retain PAs, because where we live is quite rural and his needs are demanding and unpredictable. We have a family friend who uses his direct payments to pay for his family who live with him for the care they give, so we asked the social worker if I could be paid to care for my brother while we live together. The social worker said it could be agreed because of the situation, but she told me if I received pay to care and my brother (who owns the house) needed to go into a care home at some point in the future they would be able to force the sale of the house to pay for his care, meaning I’d be made homeless and lose my inheritance. Is this true?
Could you give a link to the Government legislation regarding Direct Payment Rates for paying Personal Assistants? Particularly regarding and how much (or little) lee-way individual councils have in saying how much carers can be paid?
Do people need to have carers come into their home for a period of time (24/7 for 3 weeks) just to assess their needs in order for them to get a direct payment?